Thursday, February 20, 2020

Are You "Coachable?"


Have you ever heard someone say, when talking about another person, "you can't tell them anything, they just think they know it all." Believe it or not, we live in a world where no one likes being told they are wrong. People today can't stand the least bit of correction. The person is not correcting you because you're incompetent, but because they want to teach you something and they want you to improve. During the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays I was reminded of this (even though being reminded I am wrong has and continues to be a daily reminder).

My grandfather and I are extremely close. We have been running around together since I was born. During the holiday season, we mutually decided that it was time that I learn how to drive his Jeep, which just so happens to have a manual transmission. The Jeep is as old as I am and has been a staple in my life for years, so I jumped at this opportunity. While dinner was being prepared my grandfather and I took off in the Jeep down to the Granville Cemetery. This is a perfect place to learn since the cemetery has several driveways where we can start and stop and practice changing the gears. For about an hour I was constantly stalling the engine out. I kept this up until finally he said, "that's it, turn it off, get out, and let me have it." We swapped seats and he said, "now I'm going to show you a way to be smooth with this thing." He proceeded to show me how to effortlessly shift the gears using just the right amount of coordination between his right hand and left foot. He said, "this is not like those automatic cars that you don't have to put any effort into, this thing requires finesse." Well he stopped the Jeep again and we swapped places once again. Guess what happened? I took his advice to heart and I didn't stall the engine out near as much.

On Christmas Day, we once again got out in the Jeep before dinner. We went back to Granville, but this time we were going to practice taking off on hills. I drove up to about the center of the hill there in the cemetery and my grandpa said, "put it in neutral wait a few seconds like you're at a traffic light, and then take off." Well I did what he said, but I stalled the motor (first time all day) and we rolled backwards down the hill. I tried again, you guessed it same result. After a few minutes of trying and failing, he finally said "get out." So we swapped seats and he once again coached me up on what I should do. He said, "remember what I said about finesse? All you have to do is ease off the brake, keep your foot on the clutch, gently hit the gas, and then ease your foot off the clutch." After a few times of watching him do this, it was my turn. I drove up the hill about halfway, put the Jeep in neutral, waited a few seconds, and then took off. We didn't roll back down the hill, but I absolutely floored it and we "peeled out" (I didn't stall it out though). This time, my grandfather didn't say anything. I said, "how was that?" He said, "what do you think?" I said, "not good huh." He said, "you are to used to driving an automatic transmission all the time, and don't realize the finesse this thing requires." So after a few more hours, I finally got the hang of it. My grandpa said that I had improved so much from Thanksgiving to Christmas that he let me drive the Jeep back to the farm. Guess what, I didn't stall the motor or have any troubles on inclines the entire drive back. It's all about being open minded. Checking your ego at the door, and realizing there's people out there that know more about things than you do. There's a few spiritual applications that I want to make here.

1. People have always felt like they know everything, even in Bible times. Do you remember what King Jeroboam did in I Kings 12? Starting in verse 25, Jeroboam concocts a scheme to shift the balance of power in Israel away from the tribe of Levi, instead to the tribes of Bethel and Dan. No one was going to tell Jeroboam that what he was doing was wrong, and if they had, he would have blown them off. In the first few verses of chapter 13, we see that a "man of God" comes to Jeroboam and tells him that Josiah is going to be born of the house of David and will eventually become king. In verse 4, we see that Jeroboam commands the man to be removed from his presence. Jeroboam does not want to hear that he is wrong. Now look at the Children of Israel as they are being led out of Egypt. In Exodus 16:3; 17:3; and 32:1. In each of these verses, the Israelites are constantly complaining against Moses and the fact that he led them out of Egypt into the middle of nowhere. They failed in each of these three verses to trust, listen, and obey God, Moses, and the bigger picture. Finally, I am sure all of you reading this remember the Pharisees. In our Sunday morning Bible study, we have been studying through the book of Matthew. In your personal study, I encourage you to read through this book and take note of each of the Pharisees interactions with Jesus. In each interaction, the Pharisees attempt to disprove the things Jesus is teaching and preaching. When Jesus tries to correct them, it goes in one ear and out the other. How do we avoid being like Jeroboam, the Israelites, and the Pharisees?

2. We should be "coachable." What does a coach do? They teach their players how to play a particular sport. What do parents do? They teach their children right from wrong and how to live their  lives. What does the Bible do? It teaches us how to get to Heaven. It teaches us how to live our lives. It teaches us how to treat others. The things written in its pages are the truth and were inspired by God. Do we allow the words of the Bible to "coach us?" When we sit down and read it, or listen to a man preach and/or teach from it, do we take the words to heart? Do we speed read through it, or immerse ourselves in it? Do we read it and find it interesting, yet allow it to enter our short term memory? Do we think we are "to good" for the Bible? Do we fail to realize the power of the Scriptures? In I Peter 1:23 and 25, we are told that the word of God is "incorruptible" and "endures forever." Friends the Bible is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Allow it to coach us, mold us, and make us better people and most importantly Christians.

Friends, we are so lucky to be surrounded by people that love us and want to teach us and make us better people and Christians. We are so lucky that we have the Bible readily available to us. Allow it to teach us, mold us, and make us better. Just like learning to drive a manual transmission vehicle, the Bible requires a lot of study. Make sure you commit yourself fully to Bible study and put what you learn into practice daily. Friends, I love you, the Chestnut Mound church of Christ loves you, and most importantly God loves you.

In Him,

Carver Moore

We would be honored for you to join us for worship at the Chestnut Mound church of Christ.
Our service times are as follows:
Sunday Morning Bible study: 10 am
Sunday morning worship: 11 am
Sunday evening worship: 5 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment