Monday, December 9, 2019

Do You Have a Wonderful Life?


As I write this, Christmas is approximately two weeks and two days away. Christmas themed music is playing, merchants are running ads on TV and the internet trying to get you to buy, buy, buy. In Friday's article I touched on the importance of family and what a great time I had with my grandfather on the day before Thanksgiving. I often feel that we take our family and friends for granted. On Thursday night I took the time to watch my favorite Christmas movie, "It's a Wonderful Life."

For those who have never seen it, the movie was released in 1946 and focuses on a family man named George Bailey. Bailey and his family own and operate the building and loan corporation in the small town of Bedford Falls. The movie begins with all of George's family and friends praying for him on Christmas Eve. The majority of the movie is spent going back in time looking at the impact that George has had on his family, friends, and community. The goal is to acquaint an angel named Clarence with George so that the former can save the latter from taking his life due to a significant financial event involving George, his Uncle Billy, and the building and loan. Throughout Clarence's education on George, he sees the broad impact that George has had on the town of Bedford Falls. George spent most of his child and adult life wanting to see the world and later become a famous architect. But along the way, events in the lives of his family, friends, and even his own prevent him from leaving town and these same events end up changing his life for the better. George is one of those good guys that I believe we can all relate to.

1. How do you respond when things don't go your way in life? One thing that Clarence tells George at the very end of the movie is that "no one is a failure who has friends." We should all respond differently than George did. Do we lean on those around us for strength and support? I think that all to often it is easy to hold things inside and not seek out those we trust for help. Why is this the case? We don't like to show others our weaknesses. This is especially true for guys, but I'm telling you, God puts friends in your life for this reason. I'm lucky to have a few friends, one is married with a newborn baby, a few are engaged, and a few are single. They each are unique in their own ways, and they all are equipped to give advice from a variety of perspectives thanks in part to their life situations. But who's our greatest friend? The answer is Jesus. I love the song entitled "What a Friend we have in Jesus." The lyrics tell us that he will bear all your sins, and griefs, knows our weaknesses, and he considers it a privilege to carry all these things. The song also challenges us to find a friend as faithful as Him. We all have friends that will never leave us no matter what, but Jesus goes beyond even those relationships. I am thankful for the friends that I have and the comfort knowing that they are just a phone call, text, or Facebook message away.

2. Do you ever wish that your life situation was better? Do you ever wish you had a better job, a nicer car, nicer clothes, or a nicer house? Are you like George Bailey and are longing for the day where you can "shake the dust off the town" you're in and go somewhere better? We've all been there. This past year, I spent a ton of time searching for and applying for jobs in the public history field. My goal was to "shake the dust" off Cookeville and the Upper Cumberland as a whole and go to Nashville. Well you probably guessed by know that I didn't get any of those jobs, I'm still in Cookeville and am perfectly happy preaching for the Chestnut Mound church of Christ. Like George Bailey and the building and loan, I have realized that I need Chestnut Mound and Chestnut Mound needs me. Who knows, my career as a public historian may be a facade masking what I am really meant to do with my life. The fact is, that's for God to decide. He does this for both you and me. It's a roller coaster ride for sure, but isn't that the beauty of being a Christian? If it wasn't a roller coaster ride, than what would keep us "desiring the pure milk of the word" (I Peter 2:2)?

As I close this article, I want to leave you with the passage of scripture found in Romans 8:28, Paul tells the church at Rome, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." We don't understand it now, but God is molding our lives everyday to help us fulfill our purpose. I tell the congregation at Chestnut Mound frequently, that we are all a work in progress. Do you ever stop to think about all the people's lives we affect everyday? Clarence told George, "Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?" This holiday season and every season, don't be afraid to ask your friends for help, be thankful for where your life is, and remember that you have the greatest platform of all as a Christian.

In Him,

Carver Moore

 We would be honored for you to join us for worship at the Chestnut Mound church of Christ.
Our service times are as follows:
Sunday Morning Bible study: 10 am
Sunday morning worship: 11 am
Sunday evening worship: 5 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment