Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Maintaining Priorities


We all have a lot of things that we enjoy doing. Some people enjoy sports, some enjoy music, others enjoy hunting and fishing. Where do these things rank in our lives? Anyone that knows me, knows that I am a huge Vanderbilt Commodores football, basketball, and baseball, and Atlanta Braves baseball fan. I never miss a game on TV if I can help it, and I try to make a few games each year. However if and when these games conflict with church attendance or preaching, or even family events, I simply push my fandom of those teams to the side. Do you ever find yourself talking more about your hobbies than about God and His church? Do your hobbies influence your life more than God does? I am guilty of this and I see it a lot, especially with the rise of social media.

This past Spring and Summer, my beloved VandyBoys baseball team made a magical run to the College World Series Championship. Along the way, the team recorded a 59-12 record, defeated every team in the Southeastern Conference at least once, and won the SEC's regular season and tournament championships. To say I was excited about this would be an understatement. I wore VandyBoys shirts almost everyday and I still regularly wear my two National Championship shirts. I can't help but think about, what would have happened if I had focused more of my attention away from the VandyBoys to evangelism. I figured out that I could mix the two, by using a lot of VandyBoys illustrations in my sermons and Bible class lessons. Jesus mixed the passions and careers of the Jews by using parables to illustrate his gospel teachings. I would encourage you to use your passions and hobbies as a way of finding common ground with those who are lost. 

I remember when I was in college and younger, I used to let all my emotions ride on how Vandy or the Braves did in a particular game. If they won, I was happy, but if they did not, then watch out, because you did not want to be around me. I would yell at the TV (I confess I still do sometimes), stomp my feet, and sometimes throw things. I would let a loss affect the rest of my day, and would get myself so worked up that I often lashed out at others. It was only after I began preaching at Chestnut Mound and later went through some health scares that I realized that there is more to life than Vandy and the Braves. Next time your team disappoints you, remember these things:

1. Jesus shed His perfect and precious blood for you and me. Matthew 10:28

2. If we follow the plan of salvation, we will have a home with Him in Heaven. John 14:2

3. This Earth will pass away, but His words will last forever. Matthew 10:45, Mark 13:31, and Luke 21:33

What should be our priorities in this life? Three things: God, family, and Christian friends. We only get one shot with each. Make them count, they will be your legacy, not your favorite sports team. We should focus the majority of our time and efforts on those three areas of our life than any other aspect. I love my hobbies, I love going to Memorial Gym, Hawkins Field, or SunTrust Park and watching my teams play, but when it comes between me and the three things I mentioned above, then it's not worth it. I challenge you to watch and keep a tally of how often you talk or post about your favorite sports teams or your hobbies, and then watch and keep a tally of how often you talk or post about God. You might be surprised, I know I was. 

In Him,

Carver Moore

 We would be honored for you to join us for worship at the Chestnut Mound church of Christ.
Our service times are as follows:
Sunday Morning Bible study: 10 am
Sunday morning worship: 11 am
Sunday evening worship: 5 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment